Wednesday 20 July 2011

127 Hours (2010)

This is an adventure film directed and produced by Danny Boyle starring James Franco. The film is based on a true story that happened to mountain climber Aron Ralston in 2003 in Utah, USA.

Though, “127 hours” is a quite simple film, I like films based on true stories and enjoyed this one as well. If you want to watch it, you should not do any research about Aron Ralston or the story; otherwise film will not be interesting.

I will tell you a little about the film. In April, 2003, Aron Ralston goes for canyoneering in Utah and meets on his way two young women, Kristi and Megan. He shows them a better route for hiking and hikers invite him to the party for next night. He continues alone to his route and while descending from one of the rocks with his MP3 player turned on, a boulder falls after him. It pins his right arm against the wall of rock and traps him.

Ralston realizes that nobody will come for help as he did not inform anybody about his whereabouts. The hikers will assume that he just did not show up for party. He videos himself and rations his food and water. When Ralston is out of water, he drinks his own urine. He becomes desperate realizing that soon he will die.

Real Ralston’s courage is incredible as much as his frivolity to hike with turned-on MP3 player. Franco’s acting is superb and hilarious and his charisma is grasping. With his terrific performance viewers practically share Ralston’s torments and joy of survival.

I experienced Boyle’s outstanding directorial skills with “Slumdog Millionaire” and surely he has a lot to say in film-directing. You will certainly enjoy this film in the company of friends. Be prepared for gut-wrenching scenes!

Reviewer’s rating: 8.0 out of 10

5 comments:

  1. Salam xanım,

    Do you review serious movies? Or I would say art house movies. Something like Trier's Antichrist. Or Allen's Zelig.
    They would help to diversify content of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam :) and thank you, but I am not a xanim.

    I mostly watch entertaining and less emotional films in the company of my friends and write a review afterwards. The tastes are different, therefore the only way to come together is watching something what we all like.

    But I am very glad you mentioned these films. I will try to watch them (though, I think I have seen Zelig-1983) and write a review.

    Thanks for sharing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I see.
    I'm sorry, I just assumed that you are xanim, simply because your twitter account has a female picture.
    Mən bir qayda olaraq sci-fi filmlərinə və ya dram janrındakı filmlərə baxaram. Məncə onlar həyatı daha dərindən anladır.
    İf you prefer less emotional movies I have to take my word back about Antichrist. İt is quite dark and depressing movie with full of metaphors and basically negative emotions. But Zelig supposed to be funny, at least in American context. To our Azerbaijani sense of humor it may not be so.
    Anyway, you have a good blog. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am glad that you like it.

    You are write about sci-fi and drama films. I love them too. For example, I deeply enjoyed "Biutiful", and find it very touching and emotional. If you watched it, you probably liked it too. If you did not see it yet, then you should definitely watch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply want to say I'm beginner to blogging and site-building and seriously loved your web page. More than likely I’m want to bookmark your website . You definitely come with fantastic well written articles. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us your blog.

    ReplyDelete