Friday 10 June 2011

Tangled (2010)


Rapunzel is based on another medieval legend. It is about a girl shut away in a tower and taken away from her parents at a younger age. They say Disney spent huge amount of money in order to release this animation. When I first heard the title, I thought it will be yet another Disney prince and princess story with songs. Somehow reluctantly, I started watching and to my surprise I enjoyed it much. In the beginning it reminded me of Madeleine McCann who went missing in 2007.

I love bright and beautifully contrasting colours in both films and animations. In Tangled, I enjoyed bright and illuminating lanterns released into the sky every year on Rapunzel’s birthday. They were lovely. Rapunzel’s shining very very long hairs, glowing rapunzel flower, fresh-looking trees, grass, well-designed tower, castle were all pretty, colourful, and superb. The plot is well-thought and timely planned.

Rapunzel, for a girl kept in the tower all her life and who has never seen another human - except Gothel , who she believes is her mother - yet alone a man, is strong enough to stand up for herself with frying pan. Flynn Rider, who later admits that his real name is Eugene, is another self-satisfied theft like Aladdin. He accidentally finds Rapunzel’s tower in the woods. Later, he evolves into a loving and protective person, much like Aladdin.

As promised, Rapunzel returns satchel with princess’ tiara to Eugene after he takes her to see lanterns. But he does not give up on her when his mission is accomplished. Thugs save him from hanging and he goes back to Rapunzel’s tower. He gets stabbed by Gothel. After her hairs are cut and lose healing power, Rapunzel demonstrates ability to heal with her tears and brings Eugene back to life (similar to Beauty and Beast).

The way, Rapunzel puts all pieces of puzzle together and realizes that she is long-lost sun princess, is perfectly filmed and smartly delivered to audience. Nevertheless, I have to say that there were certain parts, which I did not like. The reason for dislike is probably me, being beyond the age target group of animation.

Firstly, I did not like Maximum the Horse. He sniffs and chases like a dog. In my opinion, it is a weird character. Rapunzel’s chameleon Pascal is nimble and sly, but amiable creature. This company, altogether, reminds me of Mulan (1998), another Disney animation: the lucky cricket Cri-kee is chameleon Pascal, horse Khan is Maximus  and Mulan is Rapunzel. People, who worked on both products, are completely different, but stories have similarities. It is similarities with Aladdin and Mulan that I did not like beside than Maximus.

Tangled definitely is a good watch, not only for younger, but also for older generation. It is one of those funny musical Disney animations you can watch with whole family.

Reviewer's rating: 7.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment