Friday 17 June 2011

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

The film was directed by George Nolfi starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. First time ever on my blog, I have to say this about a film: it is a complete waste of time. The film is not convincing. It does not have a proper plot. It is boring and based on weak statements made by characters.

Overall the old idea of angels helping with our lives is great and I believe this is true. But in The Adjustment Bureau some people (their identity remains unclear to me), who claim that they were called angels in the past (so they are not even humans), and now they are the adjustment bureau, control human lives. They change things according to the plan written by ‘Chairman’.

This Chairman thing as well remains unclear to me.  Did they mean the God by Chairman? Most probably yes.  Then why on earth these fake-angels say ‘son of a bitch’ every now and then? Is this director’s understanding of angels and God?

They refer to the fact that humans had free will for some time in history and it never ended well. The wars are result of human’s free will. Therefore, free will is taken from humanity. This, in my opinion, sounds ridiculous. The creatures of Bureau use doors to travel faster through the city. It reminded me of Monsters, Inc., 2001 animation and their doors.

There was one thing that I think I liked. This was second part of David Norris’ (Matt Damon) speech when he said that he did not even choose his own tie. I do not think in our real world politicians can have the courage to make such speeches.

I think success of film depends on story (40%), director of film (30%) and actors (30%). The story of this film is feeble and acting or directing skills cannot save it. I do not think this film is a good way to spend your time.

Reviewer's rating: 5.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment